Saturday, March 12, 2011

Life Can Be So Crazy Sometimes

Seriously, can't everything just slow down every once in a while? Apparently not around my house. We've been sick and then better and then sick again. We finally have renters in our house. HOORAY and FINALLY! It only took 9 months of the house sitting vacant and having to pay our mortgage in addition to rent for our new house. I'll tell you, that'll stretch your finances pretty thin. Now it's time to do all the things that we've had to put off until there was money available.

I took a day off last week to de-stress a bit. It was nice, but not really a relaxing day. I dropped the kids off at school and then went shopping pretty much all day. I went to Borders here in Boulder. It's one of the many locations that is closing, so everything is on sale. I couldn't pass it up. Then I went to the local yarn store to buy yarn for a scarf I wanted to make for my mom for Mother's Day. It was my first time going to this particular store and it was a bit overwhelming. They had so many beautiful yarns. There was one hank of gorgeous yarn that I really wanted, but alas, it was about $65 for less than 200 yards. So rather than blow all my money on enough of that yarn to make something for myself, I eyed it longingly while I paid for the yarn for my mom's scarf. The yarn I bought was pretty great to though.

I spent the rest of the day shopping for a dining table. Our current table is awful. The kids have thoroughly destroyed it to the point of embarrassment. I have been putting off inviting the neighbors over for dinner because I'm ashamed of our horrible table. And the chairs aren't any better. If I'm ever going to feel comfortable having company over again, we are going to have to get a new dining set first. I didn't find anything that was quite what we have had in mind. My search will continue another day.

After giving up on the hunt for a table, I grabbed some dinner and headed off to my local Stitch 'n Bitch group.That was pretty much the best part of my day, getting to pull out the yummy yarn I'd bought.

My mom gave me the book Knitted Lace of Estonia for Christmas. I noticed a couple not so subtle "hint" notes on bright green post-its stuck on a few pages. I decided to take one of these "hints" and make the Peacock Tail and Leaf Scarf.

My kids lost the labels for me, so I can't remember what it's called, but it was a joy to use. I picked a shade of mulberry-ish heather yarn in fingering weight. It's mostly wool, but I think there's some silk in it. It was soft enough to be kind to my hands, but it seems strong enough to wear well and last a long time.

I worked on the scarf for a week and finished it Tuesday night. This project kind of consumed me. I loved working with the yarn and I loved seeing how it was coming together. Sunday I spent 10 hours working on it with very few interruptions and did the same thing on Tuesday. I just love this scarf. I liked it before it was blocked, but now I absolutely love it. And I had some yarn leftover, which made me happy. I decided to make myself a scarf, same pattern but not as wide and possibly not as long. I'm excited to get to wear mine. I'm taking it a bit slower with mine so I don't end up with paralyzed hands though. Knitting 10 hours straight is a bit too much, especially when it happens more than once in a week. StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment