Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bacon-Scallion Corn Muffins with Cheddar Cheese

Like the rest of the US, we've been getting a lot of snow lately. It all seemed to be melting yesterday morning, which made me very happy. I love the look of snow, but I hate having to go out in it. Then it started snowing again in the afternoon. It continued most of the night and I woke to a very snowy view out my window. My husband offered to make hot cocoa if I would go shovel the driveway. I countered with an offer to make breakfast and hot cocoa if he would shovel. I offered to make these yummy muffins and scrambled eggs. He ended up doing the shoveling.

These muffins are so tasty. They are a bit of a chore to make, but it's worth the effort every once in a while. And they are in no way low-fat.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of these, they were practically inhaled as soon as they came out of the oven.

Bacon-Scallion-Cheddar Corn Muffins 

3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
8-10 scallions/green onions, sliced
2 c flour
1 c corn meal

1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 eggs
1/2 c sugar
8 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 c milk
3/4 c plain yogurt or sour cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
Cook the bacon until crisp. Add scallions, cook 1 minute. Set aside.
Mix dry ingredients and cheese together in a large bowl.
Whisk eggs together with sugar. Slowly add melted butter while whisking.
Mix milk and yogurt or sour cream in large measuring cup. Slowly whisk into egg mixture.
Add bacon/ scallions to egg mixture.
Pour liquid into dry ingredients and stir gently with spatula.
Using a spring-loaded ice cream scoop, fill muffin pan.
Bake 18 minutes, rotating pan half-way through baking.
Let cool 5 minutes in pan.
Refrigerate leftovers and reheat before eating. StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment